Introductory Programme: Transformational Yoga for Lifestyle Medicine
Our introductory 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training program opens avenues into the world of lifestyle medicine. By delivering you the highest quality educational resources through state-of-the-art evidence-based science, we endeavor to assist you in creating opportunities for adeptly understanding the imperative nature of the mind-body connection as it relates to well-being in and beyond the 21st century.
Lifestyle Medicine is a rapidly growing discipline that incorporates mind-body medicine, by way of yoga and meditation, under its large umbrella, opening opportunities for registered yoga and meditation teachers to assist many toward wellbeing. As such, BIYOME has developed an approach to both our provisional 200-hour Teacher Training and accompanying 150-hour upgrade to full teaching registration that facilitates an appreciation for the biological, psychological, and sociological (biopsychosocial) aspects of yoga as lifestyle medicine.
This course is designed to be completed within 6-12 months.
Students who wish to go beyond provisional 200hr membership with the respective associations may want to either explore:
BIYOME’s complete 350hr training program’s that gain Level 1 FULL Registration with Yoga Australia and Yoga Alliance:
350RYTT Personalised BioMedical Yoga Specialising in Restorative Yoga & Meditation
350YTT Personalised BioMedical Yoga
BIYOME’s two options for adding 150hr upgrade to the 200hrs in a time frame that suits you.
UP150YTT Postgraduate 150hrs
UP350YTT Personalised Biomedical Yoga
Yoga Australia 200YTT Member
Yoga Alliance 200RYT Member
Commencing February 2022
Available to be taken as an online course at any time.
What You Will Walk Away With
Upon completing this course, you will have the skills to teach a rich and informative, educated class. You will be able to understand and deliver your teachings with confidence, convey the latest research in the field to students, offer appropriate alignment cues, give touch adjustments, and teach yoga postures aided by the use of neurological feedback with props and heightened proprioceptive awareness.
BIYOME’s Yoga Teacher Training courses also create a unique avenue to becoming a yoga teacher registered with Yoga Australia and Yoga Alliance.
Upon graduation, certification with BIYOME avails the opportunity to register with either Association providing you with a globally recognized membership. Yoga Australia and Yoga Alliance provide a standard of training recognition for teachers to practice with insurance worldwide. While Yoga Australia is highly regarded in Australia and the UK, Yoga Alliance may be your registration choice should you wish to teach in the USA.
BIYOME’s 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training specifically allows you to become a provisional yoga teacher over a 6 to 12-month time frame. You will then have three years to complete the 150-hour upgrade to Personalised Biomedical Yoga to complete your full Australian teaching registration.
What You Will Learn
- Introduction to Yoga as Lifestyle Medicine
- Understanding Disconnection: Suffering, Stress, & the Maladapted Mind
- Our innate ability to change
- The Path to Wellness: The Philosophy Behind Practice
- The Ethical Philosophy of Practice
- Understanding the Body-Mind Connection: Anatomy, Physiology & Neurobiology
- Theory of Teaching-Technique
- The Altruistic Teaching Methodology: The Science of Compassion and Connection
- Mindfulness: The Science of Attention and Attunement
- Asana: The Science of Posture and Position
- Pranayama: The Science of Respiration and Regulation
- Meditation: The Science of Concentration and Clarity
- Sound Therapy: The Science of Vocabulary and Vibration
- Specialty Intensive Training (CPD) of your choice
What You Will Experience
Six face-to-face foundational contact weekends
Throughout the course, there is a foundational face-to-face face component* that incorporates training tailored to your course. These will include 72 hours via six 12-hour weekends offered February – July 2022.
February Intake 2022
February 12 & 13, 2022
March 12 & 13, 2022
April 9 & 10, 2022
May 7 & 8, 2022
June 4 & 5, 2022
July 16 & 17, 2022
Foundational Weekend Content
face-to-face content and teachers are subject to change
- WEEKEND ONE
- What is the Stress Response and the HPA Axis?
- Anatomy and Physiology 1: The Application of Anatomy and Physiology in Teaching Yoga in the classroom (General Population)
- What is the Embodied Brain? Cortical Maps & Neuroplasticity
- Classical Yoga Study & Practice: What is Yoga? Including brief history, definitions, and sutra 1.1-1.4
- WEEKEND TWO
- Understanding Pain Maladaptions and Brain Training
- Anatomy and Physiology 2: The Science of Posture and Position including strength, flexibility and the stretch response
- Introduction to Yogic & Ayurvedic Metaphysics
- Applied Metaphysics
- WEEKEND THREE
- Neurophysiological Psychology: The Six Conduits of a Connected Mind 1
- Hatha Yoga Text Study & Practice: including understanding the history of Hatha as it relates to modern science (Hatha Yoga Padaprika Study)
- Neurophysiological Psychology: The Six Conduits of a Connected Mind 2
- Classical Yoga Text Study & Practice: 1.12 Practice and detachment; 1.20 Sraddha; 1.23 Isvara; and 1.31 recognising disturbances
- WEEKEND FOUR
- The Relational Result on Neurobiology including energetic communication (Heart-Math), epigenetics, and Polyvagal Theory
- Anatomy and Physiology 3: Asana Modifications for managing common injuries in the classroom
- Teaching Methodology including cultivating compassionate boundaries, touch adjustment and corrections
- Trauma Informed Practice: An Introduction
- WEEKEND FIVE
- Prânâyâma including understanding Prana the importance of linking the breath to movement in practice
- Sound Therapy including introduction to Sanskrit, pronunciation, and the use of Mantra
- The art of Iyengar Sequencing 1
- The art of Iyengar Sequencing 2
- WEEKEND SIX
- Moving Meditations and the application of the Polyvagal Theory / compassion based therapy
- Teaching with Confidence and the importance of Personal Development
- How to attain Yoga Australia Registration, getting a First Aid Certificate, plus Open Discussion
Leanne Davis (Yoga Australia President, Vinyoga)
Samantha Lindsay-German (Kundalini yoga)
Jamie Denham (Iyengar Yoga)
Clare Sillence (Social Worker & Mental Health Specialist)
Swami Mukti (Satyananda yoga)
Marian Cavanagh (Registered Relax & Renew Instructor & Senior Yoga Teacher)
Edwina Kempe (Licensed TCTSY Specialist, Social Worker)
Dr. Sue Jackson (Flow & iRest Specialist)
Dr. James Kirby (Lecturer in Clinical Psychology UQ School of Psychology)
Dr. Maud Achard (Dietitian)
Alicia Carter (PhD and Masters of Health Psychology Candidate, UQ)
>>Find out more about our faculty & staff
The BIYOME Difference
Selection of one (1) speciality intensive training electives for continued professional development (with a limit of only one meditation option) from the following 33-hour intensive retreats 2022 (some course dates/teachers/topics yet to be confirmed and may be subject to change).
CPD02 Yoga Nidra Teacher Training (April 15-18, 2022)
CPD03 Trauma Informed Yoga Teacher Training: Compassion based Yoga Therapy (May 20-23, 2022)
CPD05 Restorative Yoga Teacher Training: Restorative Yoga Therapy (June 17-20, 2022)
CPD07 Therapeutic Application of Kundalini Yoga with Samantha Lindsay-German (August 19-22, 2022)
CPD10 Compassion Focussed Yoga Therapy and Meditation Teacher Training with Dr James Kirby (November 18-21, 2022)
Detailed information on specialty intensive training electives (CPD’s) available here
**Courses featuring special overseas or interstate guests incur an additional $250 deposit to be paid upfront on CPD booking.
Your 200YTT Training Requirements
- 80% face-to-face attendance
- Completion of 6 foundational weekend retreats
- Completion of one (1) Specialty Intensive Training Modules (CPD) and associated multiple-choice questions
- The submission of the multiple-choice questions at the end of each lesson within the online 200YTT content
- To undertake 30 additional class hours with a registered yoga teacher
- Required Books
- Recommended Books
- Required Props
We highly recommend at least 12 months regular practice; however, we take all cases individually – please complete an application form and we will contact you directly to discuss.
- Kaminoff, L., & Matthews, A. (2012). Yoga anatomy. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Feuerstein, G. (2008). The yoga tradition: Its history, literature, philosophy, and practice (3rd ed.). Chino Valley, AR: Hohm Press.
- Siegel, D. J. (2012). Pocket guide to interpersonal neurobiology: An integrative handbook of the mind. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Carrera, J. (2006). Inside the yoga sutras: A comprehensive sourcebook for the study and practice of Patanjali’s Yoga sutras. Buckingham, VA: Integral Yoga Publications.
Please note that there are also required texts for each intensive elective undertaken.
- Bachman, N. (2005). The language of yoga: Complete A to Y guide to āsana names, Sanskrit terms, and chants. Boulder, CO: Sounds True.
- Iyengar, B. K. (2014). Yoga: The path to holistic health. London, United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley.
- Desikachar, T. K. (1999). The heart of yoga: Developing a personal practice. Rochester, VT: Inner Traditions International.
- Robin, M. (2009). A handbook for Yogasana teachers: The incorporation of neuroscience, physiology, and anatomy into the practice. Tucson, AZ: Wheatmark.
Props attain a 15% discount when purchased from Yoga King Products.
- 1 yoga mat
- 1 yoga strap
- 1 bolster
- 2 blocks
- 2 blankets
- 1 Iyengar yoga chair (specific design to be purchased from EMP Industrial)
- zafu (meditation cushion)
- zabuton (meditation cushion base)
Please note that there are also required props / variances in prop requirements for different specialty intensive electives (CPD’s).
Your 200YTT Investment
Investment to becoming registered with Yoga Australia starting from $4,488*
(1) Deposit payment – $249
(11) Monthly Payments – $423
*Upfront payment discount applied
**Certificate of completion/registration is not offered without complete payment.