The ability to connect with ourselves and others, is at the root of what makes us sick and what makes us well, what causes sadness and what brings happiness, what makes us suffer and what leads to healing.
Dr Dean Ornish
Meditation and Mind-Body Medicine Teacher Training has been specifically designed to give you an opportunity to experience lifestyle medicine as attainable practices of compassionate connection with ourselves and others. While there is an explicit focus on mindfulness and meditation processes, this specialty intensive training elective shall cover both Yogic and Buddhist practices, making it perfect for those beginning their journey in either yoga or meditation teacher training.
Your journey into Mind-Body Medicine shall begin to explore the biopsychosocial model of health and well-being, and we shall endeavour to impart to you foundational knowledge based on the ways in which all aspects of the mind-body directly affect who we are and how we live. Beginning with the science of the embodied brain and an understanding of illness and disease, including paradigms of inflammatory conditions, degenerative diseases, chronic pain, mental illness, and the like, you will find yourself beginning to conceptualise illness and disease from a new perspective. This perspective will encompass a holistic and evidence-informed knowledge base of root causation from both an eastern (Ayurveda) and a western (BioMedical) perspective.
Your journey will continue over four days immersing you in a rich education of mindfulness and meditation practices for managing and overcoming states of disease – both physical and psychological, and you will be introduced to a world of medicine where the mind and body are not seen to be separate systems, but rather a harmonious balance of affect and effect.
Most inspiringly, you shall not only come away with a knowledge base of biopsychosocial health and well-being, so too you shall be immersed in your own personal practices for exploring human potential, heart-felt intuition, and creating positive, meaningful intent, as well as how to support the body’s natural healing processes, and therapeutic modalities for mind-body self-care, hosted by some of the most prominent experts in their fields. And, when your immersion into the world of mind-body medicine comes to an end, you shall find that you have been imparted with the knowledge of how to develop clear and healthy lifestyle goals for living a full and meaningful life with mindfulness and compassion as well as how to cultivate healthy relationships and compassionate boundaries – both professionally and personally.
Whether you do this course for yourself or to teach others, it is a highly valuable practice to live by and share with others. Meditation is an innovative lifestyle medicine of the 21st century.
Next Date Offered:
Course available to be taken online at anytime. Contact us for more details.
What You Will Learn
- Understanding the philosophy behind modifiable lifestyle factors including creating positive intent through Yogic Sankalpa and Bhavana, and how to apply diverse practices to reduce states of dis-ease.
- Understanding the physiology behind the embodied brain, including the embedded nature of the nervous system and interactions between the brain, the body, the mind, our behaviour and our relational capacity.
- Understanding the psychology behind practice including how emotional states and traits affect the body, psychoneuroimmunology, competitive neuroplasticity for resilience, as well as the use of compassion focused therapy and mindfulness based cognitive behaviour therapy within teaching practices.
- Understanding from a complete immersive experience the foundations, applications, and teaching methodologies of Meditation and Mind Body Medicine.
This is a 50 hour CPD course registered with both Yoga Australia – should you wish to begin your meditation or yoga teacher training with this course please view this Specialty Intensive Training as an elective within our full course offerings. Details available here.
Further Information & Requirements
- Taught By
- Required Books
- Recommended Books
- Required Props
Swāmi Mukti (Satyananda yoga)
Samantha Lindsay-German (Kundalini Yoga)
Dr Melissa Day (UQ Researcher)
Alicia Carter (UQ Researcher)
There are no specific required texts however we highly recommend
- Siegel, D. J. (2012). Pocket guide to interpersonal neurobiology: An integrative handbook of the mind. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Seligman, M. E. (2018). The hope circuit: A psychologist’s journey from helplessness to optimism. New York, NY: Hachette Book Group.
- Hanson, R., & Hanson, F. (2018). Resilient: How to grow an unshakable core of calm, strength, and happiness. New York, NY: Harmony Books.
- Hanson, R. (2013). Hardwiring Happiness: How to reshape your brain and your life. New York, NY: Harmony Books.
- 1 yoga mat
- zafu (meditation cushion)
- zabuton (meditation cushion base)
Your CPD01 Investment
Full investment upfront $1,249
or choose a payment plan:
1x deposit payment $249
3x additional monthly payments $417
Certificate of completion / registration is not offered without complete payment