Integrative Lifestyle Medicine Training Programme
This program is designed upgrade your existing Yoga Australia qualification by 150 hours. Upon completion of this program you will have the opportunity to advance your Yoga Australia Registration by one level. You will acquire the additional skills to integrate yoga into your daily life and the lives of others. This course will provide an accurate understanding of the science and deep experience of the transcendental state of yoga.
BIYOME’s 150hr Post Graduate Yoga Teacher Training programme will enable you with an understanding focused in three chosen specialties. You will gain a level of knowledge that assists you in the capacity to conceptualise and teach varied practices for specific group or individual needs; this allowing you to understand the body deeply – offering your students a diverse and personalised experience of the practice, as opposed to just delivering a class.
What You Will Walk Away With
Upon completion of this 150hr upgrade, you will have the skills to teach a rich and informative, highly educated session to a wide variety of individuals with a range of different therapeutic needs. Our courses provide you with vast and rich information in order for you to understand and deliver your teachings with confidence, convey the latest biomedical research in the field to students, offer appropriate alignment cues, give touch adjustments, and teach yoga postures aided by props designed to assist with neurological feedback. With intention and discipline, you will become confident in developing heightened proprioceptive awareness in your students and give them a suitable level of control over breath, mind and body.
As a BIYOME teacher you will be able to cultivate the experience of meditation through yoga asana, harness the psychological state of flow in your classroom and offer your students the ultimate transcendental experience, described for millennia through the science of yoga.
This course will upgrade existing qualifications by 150 hours and bring you closer towards you desired level of Yoga Teacher Training with Yoga Australia.
What You Will Learn
Each of the three (3) specialty intensive training electives that you select shall offer you an immersion of theoretical and practical knowledge. Your awareness of the Ancient Science of Yoga, the Western Biomedical Model, as well as the connection between the two and its relevance to practice will become second to none. Each of the specialty intensive training electives that compose this course entail:
- Understanding the philosophy behind practices including an understanding of the juxtaposition of eastern and western traditions.
- Understanding the physiology behind certain states of physical being as they generally or specifically (dependant on course content) relate to states of samâdhi. This includes a glimpse into the principles of neurobiology and neuroplasticity.
- Understanding the psychology within practices including basic theories of mental or behavioural characteristics that surround ancient traditions. This encompasses yoga and meditation’s presence and relevance in many modern models of psychotherapy.
- Understanding from a complete immersive experience the foundations, applications, and teaching methodologies of each specific specialty chosen.
What You Will Experience
Three face-to-face specialty intensive training electives
Throughout the course, there is an essential face-to-face face component that incorporates training tailored to your course. This includes 99 hours via three 33-hour weekends offered year round (details below – The BIYOME Difference).
PLUS Continued Professional Development (CPD) Content Provided Online
Additionally throughout this course you will be offered online content that builds upon your foundational training and offers you a wealth of resources to support and enhance your understanding of Yoga as Lifestyle Medicine, Meditation as Lifestyle Medicine, and Biomedically Informed Yoga for the Individual. This includes:
- Yoga Practice Sequences
- Yoga Asana Manual
- Bandha, Mudra, & Pranayama Manual
- Daily Practice Journal
- Complete access to all Yoga as Lifestyle Medicine Provided Literature
- Complete access to all Yoga as Lifestyle Medicine Audio Lectures
- Complete access to all Personalised BioMedical Yoga Provided Literature
- Complete access to all Personalised BioMedical Yoga Audio Lectures
- Complete access to all Meditation Provided Literature
- Complete access to all Meditation Audio Lectures
- BIYOME YouTube Channel
- BIYOME Vimeo Channel
- BIYOME Terminology Dictionary
Leanne Davis (Yoga Australia President, Vinyoga)
Sam German (Kundalini yoga)
Craig Smith (Viniyoga)
Jamie Denham (Iyengar Yoga)
Clare Sillence (Social Worker & Mental Health Specialist)
Swami Mukti (Satyananda yoga)
Marian Cavanagh (Registered Relax & Renew Instructor & Senior Yoga Teacher)
Edwina Kempe (Licenced TCTSY Specialist, Social Worker)
Dr. Sue Jackson (Flow & iRest Specialist)
>>Find out more about our faculty & staff
The BIYOME Difference
Selection of three (3) speciality intensive training elective for continued professional development. This includes the following three (3) 33-hour intensive retreats offered 2020 (some course topics yet to be confirmed and may be subject to change):
- CPD1 Meditation and Mind Body Medicine Teacher Training (January 2-5, 2020)
- CPD2 Yoga Nidra Teacher Training specialising in iRest with Fuyuko Sawamura-Toyota** (April 10-13, 2020)
- CPD7 Kundalini Yoga and Meditation Teacher Training with Dr Shanti Kaur Khalsa** (May 29-June 1, 2020)
- CPD8 Food-Mood Yoga and Meditation Therapy (June 19-22, 2020)
- CPD5 Restorative Yoga Teacher Training: Restorative Yoga Therapy (September 11-14, 2020)
- CPD03 Trauma Informed Yoga Teacher Training: Compassion based Yoga Therapy (November 6 – November 9, 2020)
- CPD10 Compassion Focussed Yoga Therapy and Meditation Teacher Training with Dr James Kirby (December 4-7, 2020)
- CPD6 Mindfulness for a Meaningful Life (Year-round monthly Fridays 9:30-12:30; 11 classes for 33 hours course)
* Detailed information on specialty intensive training electives (CPD’s) available
**Courses featuring special overseas or interstate guests incur an additional $250 deposit to be paid upfront on CPD booking.
Your UP150YTT Training Requirements
- Completion of three (3) Specialty Intensive Training Modules (CPD) and the submission of the associated multiple-choice questions
- Proof of having taught three Yoga (3) classes
- 80% face-to-face attendance
- Required Books
- Recommended Books
- Required Props
For 350YTT upgrade courses a 200hr yoga teacher training course must be completed or being completed.
For 500YTT upgrade courses a 350hr yoga teacher training course must be completed or being completed.
We highly recommend at least 12 months regular practice; however, we take all cases individually – please complete an application form and we will contact you directly to discuss.
- Siegel, D. J. (2012). Pocket guide to interpersonal neurobiology: An integrative handbook of the mind. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Siegel, D. J. (2010). The mindful therapist: A clinician’s guide to mindsight and neural integration. New York, NY: W.W. Norton & Co.
Please note that there are also required texts for each intensive elective undertaken.
- Kaminoff, L., & Matthews, A. (2012). Yoga anatomy. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Feuerstein, G. (2008). The yoga tradition: Its history, literature, philosophy, and practice (3rd ed.). Chino Valley, AR: Hohm Press.
- Carrera, J. (2006). Inside the yoga sutras: A comprehensive sourcebook for the study and practice of Patanjali’s Yoga sutras. Buckingham, VA: Integral Yoga Publications.
- Lasater, J. (2009). Yogabody: Anatomy, kinesiology, and asana. Berkeley, CA: Rodmell Press.
- Bachman, N. (2005). The language of yoga: Complete A to Y guide to āsana names, Sanskrit terms, and chants. Boulder, CO: Sounds True.
- Iyengar, B. K. (2014). Yoga: The path to holistic health. London, United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley.
- Desikachar, T. K. (1999). The heart of yoga: Developing a personal practice. Rochester, VT: Inner Traditions International.
- Robin, M. (2009). A handbook for Yogasana teachers: The incorporation of neuroscience, physiology, and anatomy into the practice. Tucson, AZ: Wheatmark.
- Easwaran, E. (2007). The Bhagavad Gita. Berkeley, CA: Nilgiri Press.
- Myers, T. (2017). Anatomy trains : myofascial meridians for manual and movement therapists. London, United Kingdom: Elsevier Health Sciences.
- Feuerstein, G. (2014). The psychology of yoga: Integrating Eastern and Western approaches for understanding the mind. Boston, MA: Shambhala Publications.
Props attain a 15% discount when purchased from Yoga King Products.
- 1 yoga mat
- 1 yoga strap
- 1 bolster
- 2 blocks
- 2 blankets
- 1 Iyengar yoga chair (specific design to be purchased from EMP Industrial)
- zafu (meditation cushion)
- zabuton (meditation cushion base)
Please note that there are also required props/variances in prop requirements for different specialty intensive electives.
Your UP150YTT Investment
Investment for adding 150hrs of registered training with Yoga Australia starting from $2,350*
Payment Plans Available:
Certificate of completion/registration is not offered without complete payment
Investment to becoming registered with Yoga Australia – $2,600
(1) Deposit payment – $249
(12) Monthly Payments – $196
*Upfront payment discount applied